Thursday, June 10, 2010

Beginnings

 
If I were to choose (personally), there is one painting that has always stood alone in the entire body of my work. When other professionals list decisions, opportunities, or accomplishments that have shaped their lives and careers, I only have this one small painting as credential. Today, as when I painted it for my Grandmother years ago, it remains the North Star for my vision. I was born with a gift that GOD gave me, and it has always been my pleasure. Beauty continues to be the exclusive subject of my brushstroke, because it was evidence of GOD'S creative hand in my heart and in the face of every other adversity that would strive to say otherwise. My talent was not inherited (there are no other artists in my family tree), nor am I a self-made man as this small painting, done at age 5, makes obvious.